Tuesday, 30 April 2013

Dance of the Draenog

Privileged to witness and film Hedgehog courtship in my own back garden tonight! Unfortunately my camera does not have sound, so you will have to imagine the huffing, which was emitted constantly by the lighter-coloured, smaller female. I have to admit to feeling a little bit sorry for the male, who received several firm rebuffs, but still persevered! I hope his persistence pays off!



This behaviour can last for hours and doesn't necessarily end in mating. Often one or the other runs off, or the loud noise attracts other suitors, causing a sparring match between the males. Since there is no evidence that Hedgehogs form any kind of pair bond and promiscuity appears to be the rule, this tedious courtship seems a complete waste of everyone's time! But, I guess the female has a right to be choosy given the bodily contortions she has to undertake to actually mate!

No comments:

Post a Comment