Thursday, 15 November 2012

Otters in Newtown

Without doubt, Newtown must be the best place to see Otters in Montgomeryshire. I have received a number of sightings in the town over the last couple of years and they have even been tame enough to allow photos and videos to be taken of them.

The latest one of these is this lovely 3 minute video of two Otters hunting in the middle of Newtown in broad daylight. This was taken by Russ Edwards, who has filmed Otters in Newtown before. Great footage, Russ! Keep your eyes out for Water Voles too!

1 comment:

  1. Additional comment from Russ Edwards:

    "There are actually 3 otters in the video (a mother and 2 cubs I believe), but on most occasions when I film the 3 of them them, one of the otters appears to be independent and does its own thing, so it looks as though there are only 2.
    In an earlier video (also on YouTube), I have caught the dog otter eating a Signal Crayfish and he always travels alone.
    I assume that he is the father to the mother and pups, since he tolerates her within his territory."

    "I was lucky enough to get a fleeting glimpse (and 25secs of video) of the mother and pups again this weekend (Sunday 10:00am), at the mouth of the Mochdre Brook.
    I could hear them crying excitedly as they ran down the brook and into the river, after being disturbed by a walker and his dog."

    ReplyDelete