Montgomeryshire has a fantastic range of mammals, from the tiny Pygmy Shrew to the great Red Deer, from aerial masters such as pipistrelle bats to expert swimmers like otters. With approximately 40 species of mammals in Montgomeryshire, there is plenty to see, without being overwhelming. I hope this blog inspires you to not only keep your eyes open for our wonderful mammals, but report your sightings too!
Tuesday, 11 January 2011
From one blog to another!
Check out the lovely photograph of a Brown Hare on the Montgomery Bird Blog, taken at the Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust's Dolydd Hafren Nature Reserve; the best place I know (in the area) to see hares!
Labels:
Brown Hare,
Dolydd Hafren
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sad to say isn't it but hares are on the decline yet they were a common sight in Wales for most of my life. I think they are hanging on in the Machynlleth area but 'patchy'. I was told a story by my brother in law recently he was a keen hunter in his day and rarely hunts nowadays but once recently when he was out with a companion they saw a hare which his companion shot. My brother in law regards himself as a responsible hunter which is why he wont shoot woodcock any more, anyway on this day he asked his companion if he was going to eat the hare that he had shot and he said he wasn't and offered it to my brother in law who declined the offer and was most annoyed by his friends actions and told him so in no uncertain terms. Unfortunately this kind of callous irresponsible hunting practice must occur out their in our countryside unseen by the rest of us and powerless to do anything about it. In over half a century of my life on Earth I have seen the decline of many species of birds and mammals which were common in my youth I really do worry about the 'sanity' of future generations who risk waking up to a 'Silent Spring' as Rachel Carson predicted.
ReplyDelete