

I discovered what I think were otter tracks and a spraint in the snow on the banks of the river Dulas (south) close to my home near Aberhosan. I also found fox and 'other' mammal tracks (hare, rabbit?) in the snow on a woodland walk. I thought at one stage I had found the tracks of a big cat! But what it was I think (hope!) were badger tracks whereby the fore and hind leg paw prints were superimposed on top of each other and showing claw marks making the tracks appear as if they were from a larger animal.
The depicted images show the frozen river Dulas .The otter tracks/spraint were located on the bit of snow at the bottom right of the river shot. There was also fresh spraint deposited on top of fallen snow on a rock lower downriver. This mid stream rock is a regular sprainting site.
Its interesting what was said about possible deer tracks discovered at Cors Dyfi I don't know if you were joking or what but do you know I wouldn't mind betting that there are the odd Roe Deer in Montgomeryshire!
There are a handful of records of wild deer in Montgomeryshire and the general consensus is that they are spreading north and west. I currently have five records for Roe Deer (the first seen in 2007), but all of these are in the east of the vice-county. I also have records of Muntjac as far west as the Hafren Forest. I believe, however, that these few records are only just scratching the surface and this highlights, once again, the importance of reporting your mammal sightings.
ReplyDelete